Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have an issue i'm in commission sales so my bonuses are

Customer Question

i have an issue i'm in commission sales so my bonuses are taxed at 36 percent i already went exempt on one and debating about doing another
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: can i go tax exempt again and not have to pay anything
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

When you ask about exempt, are you referring to claiming exempt on your W4 for withholding?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

I will advise than about when you can claim exempt until you post.

You can claim exemption from withholding for the current year (this means any part of the year as well) only if both the following situations apply:

1. For the prior year (2015), you had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you had no tax liability, and
  2. For the current year (2016), you expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you expect to have no tax liability.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This does not answer it. I am more confused. Basically i will make about 45k with 5k in federal taxes. I want to go exempt one more time and have already done it once on a 3000 bonus and once on a 800 paycheck. I usually claim zero and trying to figure out if i can go exempt on my 3200 bonus
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

A person is not supposed to claim exempt on their withholding unless they meet the 2 reasons I stated above.

Even if you were allowed to do this in the past it is not correct. You asked can you claim exempt so the answer is no. You are not exempt.

You can increase your allowances but you cannot and are not supposed to claim exempt for withholding.