Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My wife and I are both disable we have income of 43716

Customer Question

my wife and I are both disable we have income of 43716 ,10300 is pensions therest social sec & ss disability what is our tax status
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: do we have to pay taxes my is on disability and ihave been on disability since 89
JA: The accountant is ready to answer your tax question. Is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: no
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.

Some people who get Social Security must pay federal income taxes on their benefits. But, no one pays taxes on more than 85 percent of their Social Security benefits.

If you file a joint return, you must pay taxes if you and your spouse have “combined income” of more than $32,000. If you are married and file a separate return, you probably will have to pay taxes on your benefits.

“Combined income” includes your pension income, tax-exempt interest income and half of your Social Security benefits. Half your SS and SSDI is $16708, then adding your pension amount $10300 you have combined income of $27008.

Your income is below the amount for joint filing and paying tax on your benefits.

If you rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) I am credited with responding. It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.