How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2642
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a second Personal Exemption for a Taxpayer over the

Customer Question

Is there a second Personal Exemption for a Taxpayer over the age of 65 for a Tax Return for tax year 2015?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 16 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using GIve me a second and I will get you an answer drafted.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 15 days ago.

If you are over the age of 65 or blind, yes you receive a higher standard deduction (you cannot itemize). It is $7850 if born before Jan. 2, 1951. See link:

as opposed to $6300 for a younger taxpayer. See also publication 554 IRS:

So to answer your question, yes you are right and will receive a higher standard deduction in 2015.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 13 days ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further question?

Related Tax Questions