Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

It has to do with New Jersey state inheritance law. Yes, My

Customer Question

It has to do with New Jersey state inheritance law.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My wife is one of several inheritors and we live in Maryland. Will she have to pay New Jersey inheritance tax? Her share will be approximately $85,000.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 18 days ago.

New Jersey does have an Inheritance tax. Immediate family members can inherit without paying the tax. In New Jersey, these include spouses, parents, grandparents and descendants -- children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the deceased.

It depends on your wife's relationship to the deceased. NJ puts them in "classes".

Class C beneficiaries include siblings, the spouse, widow or widower of a child of the decedent, and the surviving civil union partner of a child of the decedent.

These individuals can receive up to $25,000 without paying an inheritance tax. Bequests exceeding $25,000 are taxed at 11 to 16 percent, depending on the gift's value. Only inheritances valued at more than $1.7 million are subject to the highest rate of 16 percent as of 2016.

All other beneficiaries fall into Class D. They pay 15 percent on the first $700,000 they receive, and 16 percent on anything above that amount as of 2016.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
non-residents do have to pay NJ inheritance tax?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 18 days ago.

Unfortunately yes, if the estate was in NJ that is the determining factor for inheritance tax.

Please let me know if you need further clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

Expert:  Robin D. replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to check back with you and see if you posted again.