How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14868
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Taxpayers filed an extension for a joint return for 2015. In

Customer Question

Taxpayers filed an extension for a joint return for 2015. In 2016 they became divorced and the decree stated that they file separate returns for 2015. Will the approved extension for a joint return apply to separate returns for the same year.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

Yes, the extension will cover both spouses when they finally file even separate form one another.

In fact, if you and your es spouse jointly file Form 4868 but later file separate returns , you can enter the total amount paid (if any) with Form 4868 on either of your separate returns. Or you and your ex spouse can divide the payment in any agreed amounts.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

Did you need clarification?

Related Tax Questions