Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

Married in Dec 2015. In error my wife filed her 2015

Customer Question

Married in Dec 2015. In error my wife filed her 2015 personal taxes as MFS before April 15th deadline. I filed an extension and then had her file an amendment to her return in Aug 2016 to indicate we (she) is filing MFJ and of course added all my income to this now joint return. Along with the amendment documents I also attached a check paying the entire calculated balance owed after adjusting the amended return. For some reason the IRS returned the entire amount back I paid, without any explanation or documentation? How can I remake a payment that ensures it gets applied to our joint amended return. The amended return shows it's in a received pending status, but want the payment made and correctly applied now so I don't continue to incur penalties and interest? If I make on IRS online direct payment and indicate 1040x will it get applied correctly even though the amendment is in pending status?Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. The easiest way to make a payment is on the IRS website. If the amount comes from your bank account the is no charge. This is a convenience fee if you use a credit card. You will be able to apply the payment to the correct period.