Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions

I am a Financial Planner and have a client who's father died

Customer Question

I am a Financial Planner and have a client who's father died in the Phillipines. Since he died overseas, the fund company will not let us transfer the accounts to his beneficiary without a Transfer Certificate. He had no estate beyond 4 investment accounts totaling $136K and a savings account of $7K,all with beneficiaries, so they didn't do probate. We sent the request to the IRS and they received it June 2,but we still haven't received a response. How do we check on this since they don't handle phone requests in Cincinnati.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: What accountant?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Alternatively, is there an easier way to get this done without the Transfer Certificate?
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 25 days ago.
Well I know the answer but you are not going to like it. You cant call them nor can you make them move more quickly. You could call the IRS general number but you wont get any further. All they will be able to tell you is that they will respond by mail. This is true for most estate, business and other groups. You are trying to call a local office which do not take calls. If that is where you mailed the request they simply forwarded it to the correct group. I would expect 60-90 days for a respone. Even then thw number on the letter will only get you to someone that will only be able to see what the letter will already tell you.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 25 days ago.
Bottomline, IRS speciality groups do not use phone communication to speed effectiveness.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 25 days ago.
These matters are handled at the estate and gift group in Cincinnati Ohio. The best way to contact is by mail.Topicsinformation concerning filing .
If you need assistance in
Internal Revenue Service Center
Attn: Estate and Gift Tax
Cincinnati, OH 45999
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 25 days ago.
You will need the transfer certificate.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 25 days ago.
Alternativley, once you receive correspondence, it may contain a fax number for the person assigned. At that point you could use fax to send requests or info.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 25 days ago.
One thing is certain. The local office you attempted to contact will not be able to help whether by phone or in person.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 25 days ago.
If you want to check basic status you can call(###) ###-#### All they will be able to tell you is of they are working on it or not.