Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

Can you help me decide if I am paying too much taxes please

Customer Question

Hi
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. To determine if you are paying the correct amount of taxes I would need some additional information. Could you please give me some more information about your situation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am a new hire and some of my coworkers are receiving higher paychecks even though we have the same salary so I am assuming I am being taxed more

What you are referring to is the amount of taxes that are withheld from your paycheck. This would be determined by how many exemptions that you claimed on the w-4 that you completed.

Your taxes would be determined by your income, less any deductions, less your personal exemption. If the amount of your withholding is greater than the taxes that are due you would receive a refund. It is possible that your coworkers tax situation is different. Perhaps they are married, have children, or are withholding a smaller amount.