PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

Does my chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee have to give me my

Customer Question

Does my chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee have to give me my bankruptcy estate EIN number and copies of the four years tax returns she filed?
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 months ago.

Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 months ago.

The court dies have the duty to provide you access to your bankruptcy file. You might have to go to the country clerk office and ask, and pay for the copier, but you do have the right to get those documents.

The trustee/referee does not have to comply with your request directly, but you certainly have the right to access all in your file.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated when I have answered your questions. I'mCustomer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have the IRS or government rule that says this. Also, I am in Ohio and the file is in Florida. I am 80 years old and handicapped. Can they send it to me?
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 months ago.

From the Florida bankruptcy court website:

"How can I get a copy of a bankruptcy filing?

The federal judiciary proves public access to federal appellate, district and bankruptcy court documents through Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER), an electronic public access service."

http://www.floridabankruptcylaws.com/faq.html is the cite

Since you are not in the state, I would try a phone call to the court that administered your filing and ask for assistance. Bankruptcy courts have special leniency toward their claimants, and might help long distance for free or low cost.

If they can't or won't help, getting the index number will let you make additional requests, including going so far as hiring a Florida notary to get what you need.

Thanks again for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer