Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more,

Customer Question

Hi Good morning My name is Sanjay
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Ok Here is my question I have moved to the USA around 18 months ago. I am in USA on work visa. Prior to coming into USA - I have property in India (where I used to reside) I understand that sale of property in India is now taxable for me in USA (as I am now a US resident) However, I have also read that there is a DTAA (Double taxation avoidance agreement) between India and USA and as per that agreement - sale of property is taxable in the country of origin. So if I sell my property in India - it will be subjected to tax in India as per laws in India and with the DTAA - there will no additional tax on it in the USA. Can you please let me know if my understanding is correct?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Yes - I have already declared all my foreign income for the 2015 tax year. It was really difficult process for me - but I have complied with the law
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Hi. ... Looks like no one's picking this up ... I can help .. My name's Lane

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.

...

Please bear with me a moment while I prepare your answer...

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

To calculate your U.S. tax liability for this sale, you'll need to determine the current American tax rate on long-term capital gains.

...

In accordance with the double-taxation treaty, you'll be able to subtract the total amount of Indian taxes for which you were liable from your expected American tax liability.

...

So whether or not there is any NET additional tax depends on the tax you paid in India (20 percent, I believe?) and the amount the tax would be in the US.

...

In the US, long-term gains and qualified dividends taxed at

• 0% if taxable income falls in the 10% or 15% marginal tax brackets
  • 15% if taxable income falls in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% marginal tax brackets
  • 20% if taxable income falls in the 39.6% marginal tax bracket
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") ... Otherwise I receive no compensation from JustAnswer for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.