Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

Recently sent a check to azdor. They then stamped it and

Customer Question

Hi! Recently sent a check to azdor. They then stamped it and sent it to IRS. I have no clue to why. I needed to get that money back. It was never intended for them. I owe no back taxes.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 29 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What was the check for? How do you know the money was sent to the IRS?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The check was a payment toward taxes I owe AZ DOR. My case worker at AZ DOR. repeatedly denied they had ever received the check at all. Even after being told that both checks cleared my account. I got copies of the checks and emailed them to her. Then she totally left the mess in my lap.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 28 days ago.

A check addressed to AZ DOR would not be cashed by the IRS or sent to IRS. It can take up to 2 weeks for a payment to show on your account after it cleared your bank. It is because the processing clerk who handles bank deposits often does not have clearance to update individual accounts. It is usually done by another clerk down the line. When the checks cleared the bank? I would give them at least 10 business days.

Many states have separate department that serves as mediators between the tax department and the taxpayers, similar to the IRS taxpayer advocate services but AZ does not seems to be one of them.

According to AZDOR website

If you wish to call or write to the department to express concerns about how your account was handled, please contact the Taxpayer Problem Resolution Officer, who reports directly to the Director of the department(###) ###-#### One of the primary purposes of this office is to receive and evaluate complaints of improper, abusive or inefficient service by employees of the department, and to identify policies and practices of the department that might be barriers to the equitable treatment of taxpayers and recommend alternatives to the director.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 25 days ago.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?