Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

My 18-year old daughter started college this year and my

Customer Question

My 18-year old daughter started college this year and my ex-wife and I are splitting the cost of her tuition expenses. Is there anyway we can both write off the $4000 tuition costs on our taxes or is it limited to the person who's claiming them for that year?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If she was a full time college student one of you may qualify for $2500 credit, which is far better than 4K deduction. Unfortunately, only one of you can claim education benefits, the one who will claim her. The EDU credit goes with the exemption, which means whoever claims the exemption for her can claim the credit/or deduction.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?