Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Actually, I guess I do have another question. In 2009, I

Customer Question

Actually, I guess I do have another question. In 2009, I received a notice from the IRS contesting my return from 2007. It wasn't an audit, I'm not sure what it was. But they basically removed a bunch of my deductions and said I had to prove them or this is the amount I now owed. (Around 8k). I was able to get together some of the things they were asking for but never did anything about it. In 2010 I filed and they applied my refund towards the 8k they said I owed. So is it to late to do anything about the 2007 federal taxes? And should I call and make some kind of arrangement with them before filing 2011-2015, or will it not make a difference? Will they still take my refunds regardless?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You should have provided the IRS with the proof of your deductions when you received the notice from the IRS disallowing them.

If you are due refunds for 2011 through 2015, the IRS will keep the refunds to satisfy the amount that you owe whether your have a payment arrangement in place or not.

My best advice would be to file your 2011 through 2015 tax returns as soon as possible so you will know the exact amount that is owed, if any. If you still owe after filing 2011 through 2015, you can then request a payment plan.

When you send in your tax returns for 2011 through 2015, mail each tax year in a SEPARATE ENVELOPE. Do not mail all of them together. Also mail them by certified mail, return receipt requested and keep copies of the tax returns and the certified mail receipt for your records.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's very weird, I never received your answer. I looked for it and it never came up... Is there an advantage to going through one of those tax attorney that there are always commercials for? I have not filed at all for 2011-2015, and the state levied my account for what they decided I would owe. I usually get a refund on both state and federal. Federal hasn't done anything since they assessed that I owed about 8k for 2007. When I filed in 2010, they did keep what would have been my federal refund and applied it towards the balance. Would those places help in reducing in what I owe, so they would take less out of the unfiled taxes that I would be filing all at once? Also if there is a statute of limitations on federal refunds, like there is state- and for 2011, I'm owed a refund, even though it's past the statute of limitations and I wouldn't get that refund, would they still apply that amount of refund I would have got towards the balance I owe from 2007?
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Here was my original answer:

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

To answer your latest question,

Most tax resolution companies are scams. They charge a huge fee, promise great results and then do nothing.

The statute of limitations applies to receiving a refund check as well as applying the refund to another tax year that there is a tax liability.

Best regards,

Barb