Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Today I received a robot phone call from Shelbyville TN.

Customer Question

Today I received a robot phone call from Shelbyville TN. claiming to be the IRS. It stated that they are bringing a lawsuit against me for mistakes made on my taxes. when I called back, a man with a middle eastern accent answered. He stated that there is a warrant for my arrest and that I must pay today $7533.00 or fly to Washington DC with my federal criminal attorney. threatening 5 years in jail and $25000.00 in fines. He gave me a case file number DC1517991. Any chance that this is legit? He refused to give me any more info. Is there a way that I can look at this Case Number ***** find out?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

The first contact with the IRS will not be a call from out of the blue, but through official correspondence sent through the mail. A big red flag for these scams are angry, threatening calls from people who say they are from the IRS and urging immediate payment. This is not how the IRS conducts.

you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS, here’s what you should do:

• If you know you owe taxes or you think you might owe taxes, call the IRS at 1.***-***-****. The IRS employees at that line can help you with a payment issue, if there really is such an issue.
  • If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you owe any taxes (for example, you’ve never received a bill or the caller made some bogus threats as described above), then call and report the incident to TIGTA at 1.***-***-****.
  • You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Imposter Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

These scammers are calling millions. Even an IRS official received one. Let me know if you need clarification.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I wanted to check back and see if you were able to report the scammers.