Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My daughter filed her taxes in January. Head of Household,

Customer Question

My daughter filed her taxes in January. Head of Household, Married and filing seperate. Her husband was out of the country and they were going through a divorce. He comes back into the country and goes to file his taxes and finds out he can not use the kids social sercurity numbers as they have been already used. He then makes a letter stating she did not remember she okayed him to use 3 of the social sercurity numbers, which she never did. She has full custody of the children. He files his taxes in April and received a refund in may. She just ran across his tax papers with this letter that was typed and put with his taxes. She is upset. Her husband frauded IRS and she is afraid it is going to come back on her. Should she contact the IRS with all paper work and proof she has. The signature on his taxes and on this letter is not even his signature. She is really scared.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: She did not know any of this till she ran across the papers last night.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.

As long as your daughter filed her own separate return and reported all her income and information correctly, she cannot be held responsible for his return.

If she claimed the children because they lived more in the year with her, he could not claim them and his return would have been denied (no letter with her name on it could have changed that).

She would have needed to amend her return and not claim the children as dependents on the amended return, for him to have been allowed them as dependents on his return.