Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I live in PA and someone just told me that if you retired

Customer Question

I live in PA and someone just told me that if you retired you do not have to pay school taxes anymore, Is this true??
Category: Tax
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 5 months ago.

Hi. Great Question.

There is a "Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program"

The rebate program benefits eligible Pennsylvanians age 65 and older; widows and widowers age 50 and older; and people with disabilities age 18 and older. The income limit is $35,000 a year for homeowners and $15,000 annually for renters, and half of Social Security income is excluded. Spouses, personal representatives or estates may also file rebate claims on behalf of claimants who lived at least one day in 2015 and meet all other eligibility criteria.

I will be sending other information on another program in 3 minutes. Thanks.

Not sure if you live in Philadelphia. There is a rent freeze application you can fill out:

http://www.phila.gov/Revenue/Assistance/2016%20Senior%20Citizen%20Real%20Estate%20Tax%20Freeze%20App.pdf

One more item will be sent to you in a few minutes. Sorry for the wait. Thank you.

Quick Question - what county is your residence? I want to pinpoint some possible rebate programs, etc.