Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Robin D, I was not trying to beat you out of your fee.Before

Customer Question

Robin D, I was not trying to beat you out of your fee.Before you answered the question I wanted to modify or expand it but the web site would not let me. I sent a modification of the question to you yesterday. Here it is again. Please answer that question about her marrying me and after I died she started collecting a the US Navy's widows portion of my retirement pay. Would collecting that cause her to lose any portion of her deceased husband's substantial SS benefit she is now receiving?If you want a tip please answer that question to my sweethearts satsfaction I already gave you a 5 star eating.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.

The changes to the site have taken some getting used to. That is why I asked you to go ahead and post the changes.

I do not mind that at all.

Let me check on Navy pension payments, one sec................

FYI, Your positive rating is always thanks enough for me.

One sec.....................

Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.

As this is from military retirement then SSA would apply Windfall Elimination Provision formula to the SSA benefits for her. So yes, in short her SSA would be effected.

Just for marrying no as long as her age is covered by the requirement but the payment form benefits that were not under SSA (military retirement) that would effect her. How much, I cannot advise.

SSA would have to do their calculations for that.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not think you answered the question. Would she lose her husbands ss benefits she now has?She is 80 plus years old
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Robin D,I do not think you answered the question. Would she lose her husband's ss benefits she now has?She is 80 plus years old..If you cannot answer this, you will not like the final rating I give. I think this is part of the origanal question not a new quest that I pay another 25 $ for I wanted modified
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.

She would have them reduced because of the Navy pension.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.

You can have this question closed. That way it stays as part of the original and a followup not new