Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

Asked about the entity that had the CODI. The answer: the

Customer Question

asked about the entity that had the CODI. The answer: the entity was a MLP and the COD income was reported in Box 11 E on the 2015 K - 1
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I gave a full explanation in my first entry - I am only answering Mark's question.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Mark again. I will get the information off the previous question. Please give me a moment.

Ok I had the other question closed. Please verify that the second charge was reversed.

Line 13J would be used for a research and experimental expenses. 20V would be increasing income. It would not be an offset to COD income.

What generated the COD income?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have read your answer regarding off setting CODI listed in 11 E of a K-1. CODI is not considered passive income and therefore needs to be reported in the tax year the event happened. My question is can I use 13 J (other deductions: Sec. 59 (e) (2) and losses listed in 20 V (UBTI) to offset the gain. Is there anything else I can look for?

13J is related to research and experimental expenses. Did you have research and experimental costs that were capitalized? UBTI is unrelated business income derived from an exempt organization. I do not see show either one of these will apply.