Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant

A nonprofit organization just lost its 501c3 status because

Customer Question

A nonprofit organization just lost its 501c3 status because it missed filing 3 consecutive tax returns. However, it was only founded in 2014, so at most it could have only filed 2 tax returns. We would like to avoid the reinstatement process, which requires a lot of forms and and a $400 fee. Is there a way we can appeal the revocation with less red tape?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. The IRS automatically revoked 501c3 status if a company misses 3 consecutive tax filings. If the automatic revocation was proper there is no way to appeal the revocation. In your case, it is not possible for the entity to have missed 3 tax filings. I would appeal the revocation based on this fact.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What would be the procedure for this? Or should we just file the two outstanding 990Ns and see what happens? The organization has never filed a 990-type form so in theory it has no firm FYE. Ever hear of this situation before?

I have heard of the automatic revocation but not if you have been in existence for less than 3 years. I would prepare the outstanding returns and appeal the revocation based on the fact that you have not been in existence for three years.