How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1644
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have a small pecan farm and sell a few

Customer Question

My husband and I have a small pecan farm and sell a few cattle. I help him but all the income gets reported under his ss#, although my number appears on the joint tax return. I tried to file for disability and was told I had to have worked in the last 10 yrs. well, I have, for ourselves. I think this is wrong. How can I change it?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a few moments to prepare a response.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 6 months ago.

I apologize for the delay. You could amend your prior returns 2013, 2014, and 2015 to split the income and expenses from the farm between you and your husband. If the farm generated more than $118,000 of income this may result in additional taxes. If the farm operations made less than this than there would not be any additional taxes. By splitting the income and expenses you would be able to show some earned income. There is a 3 year statute of limitation to amend a return. This is why I limited to 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if I have to show income for the last 10 years...I'm screwed?
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 6 months ago.

Yes, unfortunately you would only be able to amend the prior 3 years.