emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

Putting on a benefit for my sister in law for cancer expense

Customer Question

putting on a benefit for my sister in law for cancer expense the checks are being made out to her, does she have to pay taxes on this benefit income to pay for hospital bills and such
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: having a church dinner and silent auction to help pay for hospital bills for sister in law, checks are being made in her name, will that be taxes
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The donations will be treated as gifts. Nothing need to be reported by your sister-in-law unless she receives more than 100K from a foreign donor(s). If any of the donors write her a check for more than 14K, the donor will need to file a gift tax return. The donations will not be tax deductible.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.