Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Planning to get married, but fiance's primary residence is

Customer Question

Planning to get married, but fiance's primary residence is in Florida and mine is in New York City where my apartment is covered by SCRIE. Can we file separately and would I still be eligible for SCRIE if my financial situation hasn't changed?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of right now
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please include a link to view on my iPad instead of iPhone.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

In order to satisfy the income eligibility requirement, your household income must be $50,000 or less.

You must report income for yourself and for all members of your household, including all family members who lived in your apartment the year.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/finance/downloads/pdf/brochures/scriedriebrochure.pdf

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know about the $50,000 etal that's in your response but you're not addressing my question in full. In wouldn't be accepted into SCRIE if I had over $50,000 in earned income which is only my social security of under $1,500/month.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you're not sure how getting married, AND having different primary addresses AND filing separately effects my SCRIE
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

Your address can be different from your spouse's. That would not disqualify you.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

Your new spouse, if they stayed in the residence with you (at all) then their income is also added to your income.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't speak on the phone now. Could we do that at a later dat and do live chat only now?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

If you received an offer to speak on the phone that was site generated and not specifically sent from me.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His primary residence is in Florida where he'll be living approximately over 6 months in a year. He'll only be visiting me, but NOT staying/ living with me per se.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

If you are married and your spouse stays with you in that specific residence then they will be seen as residing with you, even if just for a part time basis.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am getting the "call me" button, but I can't speak over the phone now. I'm still not sure if your answer. I sometimes have friends and/or family "staying" over my apartment. You don't seriously think that they all have to be listed and are part of my "income."
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

Ignore that call offer.

Friends and family that come for a visit is different then a spouse.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

I don't seriously think that they all have to be listed and are part of your "income."

Even having a roommate does not include their income but any amount a roommate paid for their share counts as part of your income for SCRIE.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even if the spouse visits briefly over the year? (I can't text much longer as I'm staying at a friend's house and have get off my devices. Can we plan on speaking another time or should we cancel this just answer and not get charged?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

Your spouse living with you even temporarily would be included.

You can come back to this thread anytime. It is not erased and will remain in your MY QUESTIONS section.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I'll try to get back to you probably tomorrow or the next day. Is that OK?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

You may post more then.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will I be charged before finishing the chat?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

I am not compensated for my time unless you rate in a positive way, any other questions about your agreement with JustAnswer is covered by customer service.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will you be available to chat after today or do I get a different responder?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

If you come back to this specific thread it goes to me.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great. I'll get back to you soonish. Thanks. ��
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

You are welcome