Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I am really confused about my social security and pension

Customer Question

I am really confused about my social security and pension benefits. I am 68 years old and I work full time and earn about $50K. Will my SS benefits be reduced because I work? Also, I have a small pension from my previous employment of about $1300 a month. is that taxable at my age as well? I appreciate any advice you might be able to give me.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

I believe that you reached the full retirement age at 66. Based on this your SS benefits should not be reduced because you work.

Your pension is taxable and a portion of your social security income is likely taxable (85%)

The additional amount was $14,760.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.