emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I have not filed taxes since 1991 since I was only going to

Customer Question

I have not filed taxes since 1991 since I was only going to receive not pay. I started a new job in 2015 my $ 9000.00 retirement money did not roll over. The check was made out to me. I was told once I cashed it I would be taxed for it. I want to file my taxes because I know I will have to pay. I do not know how to go about doing it. Will I have to file all my w2s from 1991 ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you were not required to file because of your income bellow filing requirements than you only need to file 2015. When did you receive the check? In 2015 or 2016?

To claim the distribution the employer should send you 1099R. If you are not at leat 59 1/2 the distribution will be taxed as regular income and it will also be subject to 10% early distribution penalty.

Vanessa, I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?