Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant

This in regards to my 2011 filing. The IRS did not the

Customer Question

This in regards ***** ***** 2011 filing. The IRS did not the original filing and basically took all my income items and created a tax liability of about $20,000. I tried by mail to communicate to them by mail as what to do and they kept sending updated tax due which has accumulated to about $70,000 with interest and penalties and has a lien on my home.
The question is beside again sending the normal 2011 filing AGAIN, but what else can I send in terms of IRS forms that is a proper form(s) that would have to get their proper attention. With all my deductions and tax credits the original tax liability of $20,000 down at least $5K. Sam Licitra
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. What the IRS did is the prepared a SFR (substitute for return) since you did not file the original return. When they do this the IRS assumes the worst case (all income with zero deductions).

What you need to do is to obtain a copy of your tax transcript. Next, you would need to file an amended return to correct the income and deductions.

You would need to file a 1040X to correct the amounts with the IRS.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.