emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am currently a green card holder originally from France. I

Customer Question

I am currently a green card holder originally from France. I can ow ask for the US citizenship and was wondering what will be the advantages and disadvantages of doing so. I know that I can keep dual citizenship but have read that in case I move back to France I will need to continue to pay tax in US (on top pf the french one). What is tha tax rate for US citizen living abroad? Is it on top of the country they are living in taxes?Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

As green card holder you are already required to claim your worldwide income. Getting a citizenship will not change the requirement. If you live abroad you can exclude little over 100K of your earned income (in 2016, the amount increases every year), and if the same income is also taxed in foreign country, you can claim credit for taxes paid to foreign government. There's also tax treaty between US and France that limit double taxation.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.