emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

My previously primary residence that I own is now rented out

Customer Question

My previously primary residence that I own is now rented out by my daughter. I am not making a profit from it, she is just paying on mortgage amount. I am currently living with my mother who is suffering from early stages of dementia to assist her with the bills. I took along my minor son with me and we had to change schools in a different district. They required updated driver license, car insurance, and registration for school records of where I currently live now. Can I still deduct the mortgage interest and real estate taxes on the home I own?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you paid the mortgage yourself, than you could deduct it. But if the mortgage is paid by your daughter, nobody can deduct it. In order to deduct the interest and property taxes you have to make the payments and you have to own the property. Your daughter doesn't own it and you do not make the payments so technically neither of you qualify for the deduction.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?