Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I have a lump sum severance that will total $19,000 coming

Customer Question

I have a lump sum severance that will total $19,000 coming in 3 weeks...I expect to have 28% federal taxes w-4 currently has 0 there a formula that would help me determine the number of allowances I should claim to keep my refund from going sky high when I file my taxes next year?
JA: I'm trying to find the right Accountant for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: OK...thanks...I'm looking for the number of allowances that would result in a "wash" so to speak.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: That's my only question...thanks!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 months ago.

There is no easy formula for determining that but there is a calculator that will allow you to privately enter your information (even your deductions expected) and then see what allowances should be reported based on your expected tax liability.

The IRS calculator is offered through the site