How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15037
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are selling our 2 family home to our son, and future wife

Customer Question

We are selling our 2 family home to our son, Joe and future wife Chris to live there
Selling price $355,000 (FHA at 3.5%). Mortgage Broker proposes we offer a gift of $53,250
(to both) to be used as down payment. This will leave $11,750 to give them towards closing costs and net us $290,000, which we need to pay off old mortgage ($215,000) and use the rest to finish our retirement home,
Is there any tax liability for a gift of $53,250 from us to them in this sale??
Captain Elliott M.M.N. (Ret) (###) ###-####cell ***@******.***
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.


If you gift more then $14000 to any one person in the tax year you must report that under Gift Tax laws. You can give $14000 and if married your spouse can give $14000 to the same person ($28000 in total).

As there are 2 of them in this gift that means between yourself and spouse you can give in total $56000 before you would have to report the gift.

In your situation there would not be a reporting requirement because your gift, $53,250 is less.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you need clarification