Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am looking to sell my company RSU's however most of them

Customer Question

I am looking to sell my company RSU's however most of them are at a loss from what they were granted to me at the time they vested. I paid all of the taxes on these when they vested by selling other shares that were also vested.
The statement as I set this up reads:
Total Shares to Sell 8,796 Estimated Gross Proceeds $79,691.76
Total Estimated Cost $265.62
Estimated Net Proceeds $79,426.14
With a loss of -$23,571.91.
When I do my taxes this year am I going to owe any money for the $79k I received or since I can show that I already paid taxes on the full amount will I owe nothing for taking this money out?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

ForgotSounds like you're Spot-on .. but just to be sure,,

...

What is your tax basis in the units (what amont was included on your W-2 as income)?

...

Let me know and we can go from there. I'll be here.

...

Thanks

Lane

...

..

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been receiving these for many years, each year as they vested I paid taxes in the form sold shares for the price they vested at all of the shares vested at above what I am selling them for. My W2 each year reflected the income of the vesting price, and the subsequent taxes paid. Not sure I could dice it up for each year and vesting.
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

OK, you get it ... so, yes, as you asked ... no you do not owe the tax.

...

You have also, however, identified your next task ... Identifying the basis

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But again, let me know if you need more here.

...

Lane