emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I GET A CALLFROM SOMEONE WHO SAY THEY FROM IRS AND THEY ARE

Customer Question

I GET A CALLFROM SOMEONE WHO SAY THEY FROM IRS AND THEY ARE SUEING ME THEY GAVE ME A NUMBER TO CALL. I CALLED BUT GOT A BUSY SIGNAL. HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF THIS IS NOT A SCAM. DON'T THE IRS SEND YOU A LETTER
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It is most likely a scam. The IRS never initiate a contact with a phone call, always contact you first by mail, never e-mail or fax. IRS and the state department issued several warnings about phone and e-mail scams. You can call the IRS directly, but if the person demanded immediate payment, asked you to mail a prepaid card for instance, told you that a warrant was issued against you or the sheriff is on the way to arrest you unless you pay right know, those are all warnings signs that you are not dealing with the IRS.