Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant

I filed my 2015 taxes online. My daughter did it for me

Customer Question

I filed my 2015 taxes online. My daughter did it for me using the previous years dependent info. It was sent. Then I was audited for health insurance. At that time I realized that my step-son was on there and shouldn't have been. I was unsure as to what to do so I left him on and was honest and said that he had no health insurance. Myself and my grandson ,who lives with me, did have the appropriate coverage. I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owe them $560 instead of the refund of $6272 that I was expecting. My stepson shouldn't have been on there to begin with. This is the first time I have attempted to file with out a tax professional and what a mess I have. Now I have until September 12th to agree and pay the $560 or disagree and provide reasons and documentation as to why I would disagree. The question now is, can I amend my refund and remove my step son, who shouldn't have been on there as a dependent to begin with? I don't want to make this worse and am panicked and sick to my stomach. Please, help. My name is ***** ***** my number is(###) ###-####
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Yes, you can amend your return to remove your step son as a dependent. This will reduce the amount of refund that you would receive.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My daughter used turbo tax for me. Should I use that to amend my taxes

Yes, turbo tax has an amended return option. The form that you would need to file is a 1040X. You would start with the information from your original return, then make the changes to the dependents. Finally, you would provide an explanation of the changes. You would need to paper file the return (you cannot efile). You would need to include your original form 1040 (write as originally filed at the top of the return). You would need to include the amended return (Form 1040 and write as amended on each page). Finally you would need to include form 1040X. You would also need to amend your state return.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank You so much!

Hi, I tried to initiate a phone call and the call did not go through as a result of payment failure. Sometimes the credit card company will deny a second charge thinking that it may be a fraudulent transaction.