emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

My mother a 76 years old women will be entering to USA on

Customer Question

My mother a 76 years old women will be entering to USA on November 2016 as a lawful immigrant. I would like that she pays for her taxes, her earnings come from a property rent in her origin country (Colombia) and it is about $1000 monthly. What is the procedure to follow and what documents she needs in order to present her taxes next year. Thanks for your help
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What do you mean with lawful immigrant? Does she has green card?

For tax purposes, she can be a resident or nonresident. Her immigration status doesn't always determine how she has to file/or doesn't need to file a tax return. If nonresident (no green card, no substantial presence test met), she only needs to report US base source of income. Rental income is a passive income, not self-employment income and is linked to the location of the property. Income from a rental property in Colombia is not US source of income.

If she is resident for tax purposes (she has a green card or meet substantial presence test), she will need to report her worldwide income, including income from a rental property in Colombia.

To file as resident, she will use 1040 and schedule E. If she is nonresident, she will not need to file, unless she has US source of income. She doesn't need to send any documentation with her return, but she will need to keep it for her own records in case the IRS ask for it late. She will need keep records related to the value of the property for depreciation, her income and expenses.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.