emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

Can a refund be forfeited for a late filing?

Customer Question

Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Do you owe for 2012 or you are due a refund? If you are due a refund there will be no late filing penalty. All fees and penalties (for individuals) are calculate from balance due.

But that's not the problem. There's 3 year statute of limitation for claiming a refund. For 2012 returns it expired on April 15, 2016. Unless you can documents that you were physical or mentally unable to file your 2012 tax return on or before April 15, 2013 until now, you lost the refund.

Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.