Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

What do I do if my husband and I are separated for years? I

Customer Question

What do I do if my husband and I are separated for years? I don't know what he is filing, I don't know where he is so how can I file with itemize lines?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 months ago.

Married filing separate means you are considered married but not filing joint. You just list all your own income and deductions if you have no contact with your spouse.

Your itemized deductions should only include those amounts that you have paid with your own money. If you have a mortgage then claim the interest you paid and the same with property taxes, just report what you actually paid.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)