emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I received a call saying I owe theirs 5000 if did not pay

Customer Question

I received a call saying I owe theirs 5000 if did not pay right now a warranty will be issued
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Is this a scam to get my money
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No not that I know of they wanted me to go get a prepaid card from cvs
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It's a scam. The IRS had been warning taxpayer for some time about the phone scams. The IRS will NEVER ask you to pay with a prepaid card.

You can report it on the IRS website but the problem is that the scammer frequently change the phone numbers. By the time the IRS has a chance to take any actions, they are gone.

Next time they call, ask for their name and phone number, tell them you do not deal with the scammer and that you are going to report them right now. They usually stop calling.

Any questions?

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.