Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant

I am inquring about the possibility of adding RV expenses to

Customer Question

Hello, I am inquring about the possibility of adding RV expenses to my personal or business tax deductions.
I own an Scorp in the state of nevada. I rent a home (I do not own it). Recently my wife and I bought an RV (Recreational Motorhome). It is being financed via a 20-year loan at 4.75%. The motorhome will be used partially for business (we will be traveling to different states to buy merchandise to resell online). The RV will not be used to store the inventory, nor will we be using it for everyday business, nor will customers be on the premesis.
Are there any personal or business tax deductions I can make with this RV? Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be happy to help you with your questions. You mentioned that you will be using the RV to travel to different locations to buy merchandise. You would be able to deduction either the actual costs associated with your business use or the standard mileage rate. With either method you need to know the total business miles and the total miles. Let's assume that you use the RV 75% for business. You would take 75% of the gas, oil, repairs, tires etc. If you use the standard mileage rate you would multiply your business miles by $0.54.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.