Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986

I live in NM. I have no will. Can I leave my household goods

Customer Question

I live in NM. I have no will. Can I leave my household goods and my car to my brother BEFORE probate court is initiated if I die? My only other asset is my house which is paid for and property tax are current.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My names Lane. I can help you here

Yes, you can do this through a revocable living trust (which completely bypasses probate, and can be executed before the period probate usually takes.)

By using the revocable trust, you can change this at any time and retain control, but upon passing the trust becomes irrevocable and whomever you leave as successor trustee (you're the trustee while you're alive) is directed to change the title on the car and direct the other furnishings (whatever is listed in the trust) to your brother (the beneficiary of the trust).

Here's a great article from the attorneys at on how this can be done simply, online.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

Thank you!

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986