Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I spent 2013-2014 as a Fulbright Fellow in Poland, lecturing

Customer Question

I spent 2013-2014 as a Fulbright Fellow in Poland, lecturing at the university, teaching four courses. The total time spent there was 340 days. I am trying to figure out how to report my income, which was paid to me by the Polish Fulbright Commission, and whether I can deduct a per diem. Alternatively, it may be possible for me to claim Poland as my tax home since I was there for more than 330 consecutive days. All of the official documentation from IRS is not that helpful.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

Are you preparing your 2013 and 2014 tax returns? When were you in Poland (what month to month)?

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tip-recordkeeping-and-reporting

Essentially you need to keep a log of your daily tips and report the tips you receive to your employer each month (if greater than $20).

Sorry the computer switched questions. Please disregard the prior two comments.

The rules for the foreign income exclusion are a little confusion (to say the least). If you are residing in the foreign country for 330 days out of a 12 month period you would meet the physical presence test. If you meet this text you would be able to exclude $99,200 for 2013 and $100,800 for 2014.

You would document your eligibility for the physical presence test on form 2555. Since the time spreads over two years you could use the same time period for each Form 2555.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.