Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I have income from interest, cap gains, ss, pension. If I

Customer Question

I have income from interest, cap gains, ss , pension . If I move to P.R. To live> 6 mo. On What will I be taxed? I am usa citizen.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is your answer , did you see my question?

My apology. As a US citizen you are taxed on your worldwide income. Puerto Rico is a US possession so nothing will change for you for federal tax purposes.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.

From a federal perspective nothing will change. From a state perspective you may need to file a part year state income to reflect the amount on income that you receive in each location.

I am looking into this further. Please give me a few moments.

I was wrong in my initial analysis. Puerto Rico although a US territory has a separate tax system. To qualify to be taxed in Puerto Rico you would have to have your tax home their. For instance, you would have to more their permanently, you would need to live there for more than 183 days in a year.

Puerto Rico has a much lower income tax rate. Your income would not be subject to federal taxes. To qualify you could not have been a Puerto Rican resident in the past 15 years.