emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

TAX USA QUESTION I am a self contractor who happen to have

Customer Question

TAX USA QUESTION Good afternoon. I am a self contractor who happen to have other subcontractors at the end of the year I give them 1099 is there a way form that I can give then when I hired then so I can collect their info. now, so far I only ask the ss card and id. please let me know what is the form I need to make them fill out this year I will have like 20 people I have to give them unemployment.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Subcontractors are not eligible for unemployment. If you want them to receive unemployment, you will need to treat them as employees and issue them W2, not 1099. If you have 20 employees, I would strongly suggest to hire a payroll company, there are several returns that will need to be filed during to years to comply with the law.

For contractors, you should have them fill out form W9 and keep the form on file for tax purposes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.

You're welcome.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.