Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

Researching for friend, she had a business with a dead ex

Customer Question

researching for friend, she had a business with a dead ex husband who died. BOE said originally they owed $9K now $35k. this was in 2000. how much to hire lawyer and fight to have it reduced? can it be reduced because he owed half and is now dead? and its been over 3 years and she does file tax returns. they sent letter saying you have 1 week to pay and any payment plan she had earlier and all payments she has made does not count?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: nope
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

Since we are dealing with the year 2000 I would assume that this is California.

California has a 20 year statute for collecting the tax. This is compared to only 10 years at the federal level. Just an fyi. So the state would have up until April of 2021 to collect on the 2000 taxes.

One option that she may be able to pursue is an offer in compromise.

California will base an installment agreement or offer in compromise on your friend's current financial situation.

I do not believe that an attorney could help.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.