Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I'm a real estate agent, I just purchase a property for

Customer Question

I'm a real estate agent, I just purchase a property for investment for myself, What are the benefit for my federal and California tax deduction in purchasing mortgage cost and future interest income and repair cost.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

What is your plan for the property? Is this going to be a rental?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

You would be able to depreciate the property over 27.5 years. A portion of your purchase price would need to be allocated to land. Usually an 80% home 20% land split is used.

You would be able to deduction minor repairs. There is a safe harbor for repairs if the amount is below $2500.

Any major repairs or improvements would need to be capitalized and depreciated over 27.5 years.

You would be able to deduct the mortgage interest, property taxes, and other expenses related to the rental property.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
mine land $792,238 improvements $311,235. How about the loan cost, is this non passive income for me as a real estate agent so the loan cost can be deductible. Can we switch to email***@******.*** and answer my question, I need to go to a meeting now.

Some of the loan costs would be deductible. Points. Others would be capitalized in the cost of the property.