Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have been consulting for a client in DC and I live in

Customer Question

I have been consulting for a client in Washington DC and I live in Florida. I am flying back and forth weekly and am approaching a 12 month duration. Do I need to work remotely to prevent tax home being switched to DC?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Expenses are reimbursed by the client and paid biweekly with billing hourly rate.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 months ago.

You are traveling away from home if your duties require you to be away from the general area of your tax home for a period substantially longer than an ordinary day's work, and you need to get sleep or rest to meet the demands of your work while away.

In determining your main place of business, take into account the length of time you normally need to spend at each location for business purposes, the degree of business activity in each area, and the relative significance of the financial return from each area. However, the most important consideration is the length of time you spend at each location.

If this is your only client then you do need to establish that your office is in Florida and not in DC where this client is located.

Working from your office in Florida with an occasional trip to DC would do this for you.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited with responding.