Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I just called the IRS at their practitioner hotline atand

Customer Question

I just called the IRS at their practitioner hotline at(###) ###-####and got a message to call back another time due to heavy call volume. I need transcripts and a copy of a tax return for a client. I have a POA. Is there another number to call that will likely be faster? Is there a way to get this data on the internet?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

You are able to obtain transcripts online but the POA needs to be on file and you need to be registered for IRS e-services.

If you are not registered for e-services I would recommend trying to call the number again. If you keep trying you should be able to get in the line. Keep in mind that you may want to put the call on speaker phone. I have waited 2 plus hours before.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The POA were registered at local office and I do not know if it has made it into the CAF system. I believe I am registered for e services as I can efile tax returns Probably will have to call for now. Is there a good time to call?

Usually as you get closer to October 15th the practitioner hotline ​has very long wait times. Usually Monday is very busy.

The same thing happened last year. I would just put the call on speaker phone and wait for the representative to answer.