Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

How do you file taxes for a very temporary intern which I

Customer Question

How do you file taxes for a very temporary intern which I will pay, yet will only be working as an assistant for my sole proprietorship for about a month, doing minor clerical work and research
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If the person will be performing services for you for about a month, my best advice would be to treat him/her as an independent contractor and issue a 1099-MISC at the end of the year if the earnings are $600 or more. It does not really make sense to set up payroll (federal withholding, social security and medicare) for such a temporary, short term work arrangement.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb