Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

Old computer crashed. Losted turbo tax returns for 2014 &

Customer Question

Old computer crashed. Losted turbo tax returns for 2014 & 2015. Is there a way to retrieve the files?
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 months ago.

intuit offers an archival retrieval.

From Intuit (

"We will always have your tax returns when you need them. With just a couple of clicks, you'll have a copy in no time.

How to get your 2015 tax return

Everyone can download their current tax return for six months after tax day in April.

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Click the Download/print return link on the left. It's inside the Welcome home square. Your 2015 tax return will start downloading automatically.

How to get an older tax return

If you paid for TurboTax this year, you can download every return until October 2017. If you didn't pay to file this year, you need to upgrade and pay for TurboTax before you can download old tax returns.

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Click the Taxes tab in the top-left corner.
  3. Then, scroll to the bottom and click the Load My Tax Timeline link in the bottom-right. Every year that you have used TurboTax Online will appear.
  4. Click on the year you are looking for and click the Download/print return (PDF) link. Your tax return will start downloading automatically. "

You will at least have copies of the filed returns available, as long as you efiled with TurboTax for the years in question.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback when you rate my assistance is appreciated. as it is how experts are compensated. I'm PDtax.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you since you requested a new answer.

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created. TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

You can get free transcripts of your federal return from the IRS -

For a fee of $50 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 -

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,