Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986

How to find out if they still have a lein on Home

Customer Question

Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

There are three ways to do this now. (years ago one had to physically go down to the deed room at the court house)

Liens are a matter of public record once recorded. To find if there are any liens, here are your options:

• Search the county recorder, clerk, or assessors office online. All you need is the name of the property owner, or its address. If your county does not have the data online, then:
  • Visit the county recorder, clerk, or assessor’s office in person. Generally, you will find the people in these offices will be quite helpful, and can even give you pointers if you need help.
  • Contact a title company. Title representatives can be extremely helpful in many ways . . . finding liens is one of them.

Here's a good place to start:

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

Thank you!

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.