Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

When I filed my request on 04/13/16, I inadvertently

Customer Question

When I filed my request for extension on 04/13/16, I inadvertently transposed part of my SSN. I also mailed a partial payment with the request. I have since discovered the error and have corrected it in my Turbo Tax. I have tried to reach IRS to find out how to get this straight but cannot get an answer. HELP?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be happy to help you with your question.

Did you mail in the extension form?

Did you file the return yet. If you filed the return the IRS will send you a letter stating that the tax information doesn't match the data the IRS has on file from the Social Security Administration​.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
on mailed ; no on filing. This answer is not really an answer regarding correction. Thought I was asking the Turbo Tax support for an answer.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also what happened to the 7 day free trial. NOT SATISFIED AT All!!!

You do not need to file an amended return. You would still file the 1040. The IRS likely caught the transposition and applied your payment to the correct number. If this is not the case you will receive a notice. Once you receive the notice you would either prepare a letter explaining what happened, the social security that you applied the payment to, you would instruct the IRS to move the payment to the proper account. You could also call the IRS at 1-***-***-****.

This is not Turbo Tax support. I am sorry for the confusion.

It is an easy fix. It is just a matte of associated the payment to the correct account.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is the easy fix? I've already tried everything your answer addressed --- how do I cancel this since this is not something I want or apparently need? Nothing personal just no help.

I would suggest contacting customer support. Just file your 1040 with the correct SSN#. If you receive a notice from the IRS, it is an easy fix to move the payment to the correct account.

I do not have the ability to cancel the transaction on my end.