Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

If I have a total income at the end of the year 135,000 and

Customer Question

If I have a total income at the end of the year 135,000 and accept a payout of 72,000 from a lump sum pension from a past employer, what kind of taxes would I be expecting to pay at the end of the year? I do know they will take out 20% and possibly plus 10% early withdrawal, but it states no because of being over the age 59 1/2. We are considering the lump sum to pay off debt. If we accept monthly payments starting at age 65, it will be 412.00. Less if starting now. They will withhold taxes for you for these payments.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Based on the information you have provided, and if you use the married filing jointly filing status and do not itemize, your tax liability on $207,000 will be approximately $39,000. Of course, you will subtract any tax that is withheld from the $135,000 and $72,000 to arrive at your correct tax liability (if any).

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,